Desert Camels and Hawthorn School
Monday, 22 September 2008 00:00
|Desert Camels and Hawthorn School|
|Legacy 2011 Update|
The boys returned to their rural communities and each started to coach teams of 15-20 boys. As a consequence the area now has 12 rugby teams in the surrounding schools and villages and the boys themselves are the coaches, enthusing and imparting knowledge each of them gained from the week at Hawthorns.
The boys are in contact sending photos and updates to their hosts. Andy Wyeth has left Hawthorns to take a up a teaching role in Kuwait and intends to visit the boys in Pakistan from there.
UPDATE FROM DESERT CAMELS MARCH 2010
"Approximately 18 months have passed since our tour in touraid cup through Desert Camels RFC.Though formerly Desert Camels enjoyed a considerable position at national level but this tour enhanced its value. I am sorry to say that i could not properly update about every event and every victory/success of Desert camels RFC, but i kept try.
Now i want to mention some of those achievements which Desert Camels RFC has occupied after this tour.
(1) Thousands of people welcomed us at our return in 2008 and they also thanked Touraid and Hawthorns.
(2) Pakistan coca cola announced Rs.1000 per each child as scholarship for 1 year.
(3) A number of children and men begin to take interest in rugby after this successful tour, now the members of players in Desert Camels has reached 400.
(4) Now we have the first rugby team (girls) in Pakistan which consists of 70 players.
(5) A very positive change can also be observed in the behaviors of the children's, now they work harder a study more interestedly.
(6) Desert Camels often takes one of the first three positions in national level now.
(7) Desert Camels ( Islamia University Bhawalpur ) is the Gold medalist of the current year and the university has announced two thousand for each player.
A few comments from different personalties
(1) Mr. Naeem , reporter of " The Daily Jung " is of the view that.
" The opportunity which the tour aid give our children is one of the happiest news for this area ".
(2) Mr.Muhammad Yar , the father of the twins in our team opines that
" My sons have become so hardworking after this tour that i don't have any worry about them now".
(3) Mr.Tayab, the headmaster in high school 185/ 7-R said
" Before this tour , these children were average.
Now they are excellent and other children try to follow them now".
(4) Mr .Arshad a shopkeeper in Village 187/7-R declared
" The children have learnt in seven days what they could not learnt during their 13 years "
(5) The mother of Waqas is of the view that
" I pray heartily for Touraid as they have done miracles to all children"
Desert Camels RFC.